Senior Counsel (Government Procurement)
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Legal
- Job Function Legal
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition R-1710513
What you'll do...
Imagine a position that allows you to apply your trusted legal expertise while working alongside the world’s largest retailer. Imagine an opportunity where your knowledge takes you beyond the courtroom and positions you as a trusted business advisor. At Walmart, our Senior Counsels drive strategy while empowering the organization to make informed decisions that align to enterprise objectives. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment, enjoy solving problems and working collaboratively toward a solution, you’ll find that being a part of our Legal division is a move that brings with it tremendous growth potential and exciting new challenges. The most exciting part? You’ll likely find yourself in a place you never envisioned your law degree would take you.
While it is important that Walmart continues to drive the day-to-day business and focuses on serving our customers today, it is also critical we are looking ahead to the customer and business needs of tomorrow. The Walmart Business team is a newly created group designed to do just that by leading new initiatives to save businesses, nonprofits and the public sector time, money, and hassle so they can focus on their missions. The position will be integral to the development of our government procurement strategy, ensuring that our decisions address the specific needs and complexities of the public sector with a focus on state, local, education and cooperative buyers.
Join the Walmart Legal Team and become a trusted strategic partner supporting a growing area of Walmart’s business. It’s a unique chance to be an intrapreneur—building something new from the ground up, while backed by the strength of Walmart and leveraging the assets of the world’s largest omnichannel retailer.
Your expertise, vision and strategy will allow you to provide critical guidance to your clients as they develop and drive business opportunities and special initiatives. You will provide legal guidance for operations and transactions and collaborate with cross-functional teams to mitigate legal and compliance risk.
What You’ll Do:
- Providing legal advice to the company by providing clients with an informed understanding of the client's legal rights, obligations, and risks to allow the client to make informed decisions.
- Identifying the need for and overseeing outside legal support for business transactions and projects.
- Leveraging technology to streamline processes, communication, and workflows.
- Providing strategic legal and business advice to the company to facilitate long-term relationships with key partners.
- Leading legal review and negotiation of commercial matters.
- Collaborating with other Legal groups and subject matter experts to analyze and assess legal risks and provide seamless cross-functional support to your clients.
- Developing business best practices and procedures that will mitigate corporate risk.
What You’ll Bring:
- You have strong government procurement / contracting experience - ideally on the vendor side with commercial off the shelf goods sold under contract to state, local, education and/or cooperative buyers.
- You have substantial, diverse legal eComm experience (ex. combination of in-house, government sector, leading law firm, etc.) in commercial transactions, data privacy, public sector, antitrust and marketing.
- You have conducted state law surveys and provided practical analysis to business clients on the implementation of state laws.
- You empower your business partners while working collaboratively to achieve cross-functional goals.
- You work proactively and leverage preventative measures in the spirit of protecting stakeholders, customers, and employees.
- You have strong new business development and proven operational experience, bringing businesses to life, and growing them from launch into the next phases.
- You are a solution-oriented strategic thinker with sound judgement, who will provide practical guidance and manage multiple complex matters.
- You have demonstrated the ability to move projects forward proactively by gaining support needed from stakeholders across the company and working in a cross-functional role.
- You have a proven track record of risk identification, assessment, and mitigation.
- You have strong communication skills to interact with senior leadership and stakeholders.
- You have experience advising Product, UX / Design and Tech on new features and functionality.
Location: Bentonville, AR.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas, and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you’ll quickly find we’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Law degree from an accredited law school and 5 years’ experience in law.
License to practice law in at least one state.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Leading cross-functional teams
Primary Location...702 SW 8TH ST, BENTONVILLE, AR 72716, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.