Staff Data Engineer
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition R-1513100
What you'll do...
As part of the International Data Governance team you will partner collaboratively with business and technical stakeholders to maintain the organization’s data, ensure polices, processes, and standards are adhered to so that consistent and trusted data drives business initiatives and powers data driven decision making in a reliable, repeatable, and scalable way. Ensure International Datalake is compliant, secure, discoverable, traceable, and of high quality.
Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects by identifying customer and operational needs; developing and communicating business plans and priorities; removing barriers and obstacles that impact performance; providing resources; identifying performance standards; measuring progress and adjusting performance accordingly; developing contingency plans; and demonstrating adaptability and supporting continuous learning.
Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by training and providing direction to others in their use and application and ensuring compliance with them.
Ensures business needs are being met by evaluating the ongoing effectiveness of current plans, programs, and initiatives; consulting with business partners, managers, co-workers, or other key stakeholders; soliciting, evaluating, and applying suggestions for improving efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
Our team collaborates with Walmart International, which has over 5,900 retail units operating outside of the United States under 55 banners in 26 countries including Africa, Argentina, Canada, Central America, Chile, China, India, Japan, and Mexico, to name a few.
What you'll do:
- Supporting and driving long-term and short-term strategies for achieving business outcomes, especially in Data Governance Space.
- Partnering with cross-functional teams to identify business problems and opportunities.
- Acquiring data from disparate data sources using API's, SQL and NoSQL.
- Transform data using SQL, NoSQL, and Python. Visualizing data using a diverse tool set including but not limited to Python and R.
- Experience applying and integrating with sophisticated data science and advanced analytics models such as machine learning, statistical modeling, simulation, and optimization to produce valuable insights that guide decision-making and enhance business outcomes.
- Collaborating with engineering and product teams to deploy data engineering and governance solution in Google and Azure clouds.
- Communicating effectively to all levels of the organization, including executives.
- Guiding and mentoring junior associates on Technical and Non-Technical aspects in the Data Governance Space.
- You will be working to integrate International Data Lake with Data Management and Data Governance tools like Google Dataplex etc.
You will be responsible for analyzing, designing, coding, testing and deployment of technical solutions to following Data Governance requirements for International Data Lake.
- Technical Data Catalog
- Business Data Catalog
- Data Lineage
- Data Quality
- Data Access control
- Data Classification etc.
What you'll bring:
- Highly proficient coding in one or more languages: Java, C++, Python, Spark, Scala, or R.
- Highly experienced in Spark and Distributed computing frameworks.
- Highly experience in programming design patterns.
- Highly proficient with CI/CD tool like Git, Looper, Jenkins etc. and workflow orchestration tools like Airflow/ Automic etc.
- Expertise in designing, developing and deploying big data applications in Google cloud platform.
- Proven advanced development experience in leading data-driven projects from designing to execution, driving and influencing project roadmaps.
- Deep expertise in writing and debugging complex SQL queries.
- Strong written, oral communication and presentation skills
- Problem solving skills / Abstract thinking – ability to understand a real-life problem, make the right judgement of problem statement, and give a feasible design of solution.
- Experience in interacting with business stakeholders and effectively drive conversations.
- Data Governance knowledge of: Data value chains; Data processes and practices; Regulatory and ethical requirements around data; Data modeling, storage, integration, and warehousing; Data value chains (identification, ingestion, processing, storage, analysis, and utilization); Data quality framework and metrics; Regulatory and ethical requirements around data privacy, security, storage, retention, documentation; Business implications on data usage; Data Strategy; Enterprise regulatory and ethical policies.
- Data Modeling knowledge of: Cloud data strategy, data warehouse, data lake, and enterprise big data platforms; Data modeling techniques and tools (For example, Dimensional design and scalability), Entity Relationship diagrams, Erwin, etc. ; Query languages SQL / NoSQL; Data flows through the different systems; Tools supporting automated data loads; Artificial Intelligent - enabled metadata management tools and techniques.
About Walmart Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of software engineers, data scientists, cybersecurity expert's and service professionals within the world’s leading retailer who make an epic impact and are at the forefront of the next retail disruption. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. We are people-led and tech-empowered. We train our team in the skillsets of the future and bring in experts like you to help us grow. We have roles for those chasing their first opportunity as well as those looking for the opportunity that will define their career. Here, you can kickstart a great career in tech, gain new skills and experience for virtually every industry, or leverage your expertise to innovate at scale, impact millions and reimagine the future of retail.
Flexible, hybrid work:
We use a hybrid way of working that is primarily in office coupled with virtual when not onsite. Our campuses serve as a hub to enhance collaboration, bring us together for purpose and deliver on business needs. This approach helps us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team and be more flexible in our personal lives.
Benefits: Beyond our great compensation package, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field. Option 2: 6 years’ experience in software engineering or related field. Option 3: Master's degree in Computer Science and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related field.
3 years' experience in data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence, or business analytics.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence, or business analytics, ETL tools and working with large data sets in the cloud, Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field
Primary Location...805 SE MOBERLY LN, BENTONVILLE, AR 72712, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.