Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
Software Engineer III
Software Engineer III
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition R-1489512
What you'll do...
Site Reliability Engineer
As a member of the SRE team, you will work with other Developers and DevOps practitioners to produce mission-critical infrastructure, tools, and processes that will ensure highest levels of availability and reliability of all our websites. As a member of the team, you will be expected to work with peers and customers to implement the technical vision of the team.
You are right for the job if you are comfortable with deep technical Linux, networking topics, and distributed architectures. You will work cross-functionally amongst a variety of teams and be a core contributor in every significant engineering service or solution that we deliver to our stakeholders. You will excel if you have enthusiasm for digging deep, and a flare for sharp technical communication, prioritization, and organization. You will work with our Software Engineering teams to build our next generation “always up” and “highly available” cloud-based e-commerce/Retail and Enterprise platform.
Site Reliability Engineers are hybrid systems and software engineers who are responsible and take ownership for reliability, scalability, automation, and other issues related to uptime and availability of Walmart’s e-commerce/Stores and Enterprise platform. Our goal is to build, scale and guard the systems that delights the customers. To do so, you will need to strong skills in following areas:
- Design, write and build tools to improve the reliability, latency, availability and scalability of Walmart e-commerce/Retail and Enterprise products.
- Engender reliability and availability starting with metrics and measurements.
- Enable scaling by providing tools, developing training and/or augmenting processes.
- Build tools/automate to prevent re-occurrence of problem to mission critical products/services.
- Augment existing instrumentation to build a cohesive picture of the characteristics of our systems with special attention to points of failure.
- Participate in capacity planning, demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning.
- Develop a deep understanding of the numerous services and applications that come together to deliver Walmart e-commerce/Retail and Enterprise products
- Design new tools to monitor and smart alerts that help discover failures/issues in a timely fashion and work with engineers to identify root cause and fix issues.
- Influence, design and create new architectures, standards, and methods for large-scale enterprise systems.
- Root-cause analysis complex problems involving multiple parties, networks, hardware, and software that relate to scaling and performance.
- Participate in on-call rotation.
- Secure the system from issues, be they real, perceived, or notional.
- High focus on collecting and inferring metrics.
- Experience with containerization and container platforms. (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes, Docker EE, OpenShift, Mesosphere)
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Ansible, Saltstack, Chef, and Puppet
- Build and drive the automation systems that maintain system health.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Drives standardization and service focused instrumentation. Provides subject matter expertise. Resolves break/fix scenarios, engaging broader teams as necessary; and partners/leads to achieve continuous improvement. Contributes to command-and-control related activities focused on restoration of complex outages, and rapid restoration. Participate on 24/7 on-call rotation. May work independently or as part of a team on more complex projects. Provides mentoring and guidance to more junior team members.
- Creates systems engineering and architectural documentation to be used by others to build and maintain systems.
- Scripting and Development responsibilities: Develop software in several modern languages. Develops large/complex database-backed systems and understands DB schema and query performance. Utilizes professional best practices in day-to-day work like revision control, unit testing, or other. Applies statistical data analysis techniques.
- Networking responsibilities: Understanding and performing TCP dumps, snoop, and other network sniffers. Understands and applies knowledge of most protocols (TCP/IP, HTTP, UDP, etc.)
- Application Technologies): Provides recommendations and advice to the team and/or department in the areas of web services, OS, and storage, including being an active liaison to Development, QA, and the Business.
- Analyzes systems and makes recommendations to prevent potential problems. Takes lead on issue resolution activities using knowledge of complex and company-wide systems.
- End-to-end audit of monitors and alarms based on subsystem knowledge.
- Utilizes time management and project management skills to lead the resolution of issues in a timely and organized manner, effectively communicating necessary information. May consult directly with developers or third-party vendors; provides subject matter expertise.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- 4+ years in a software development, DevOps role, or SRE role.
- Experience in designing, investigating, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale enterprise systems.
- Methodical and systematic problem-solving approach, combined with a solid awareness of ownership, initiative, and drive.
- Fluency with running services at scale; understanding of Unix systems internals and networking.
- Networking knowledge and strong understanding of network concepts, such as different protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc.), MAC addresses, IP packets, DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing).
- Understanding of Unix/Linux systems from kernel to shell and beyond, taking in system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols along the way. Experience administering Linux systems in a production environment.
- Programming experience in one or more of the following languages: Go, Kotlin, Java, Python, Ruby, Shell
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant work experience
- Experience with distributed version control like Git or similar
- Experience with IaaS and PaaS providers such as AWS, AZURE OpenStack, GCP
- Experience with containerization and container platforms. (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes, Docker EE, OpenShift, Mesosphere).
- Experience with enterprise monitoring solutions like AppDynamics, New Relic, Prometheus, Graphite, Nagios, Sensu and Splunk
- Familiarity with continuous integration/deployment processes and tools such as Jenkins, Maven, Nexus, etc.,
At Walmart, we offer competitive pay as well as performance-based incentive awards and other great benefits for a happier mind, body, and wallet. Health benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage. Financial benefits include 401(k), stock purchase and company-paid life insurance. Paid time off benefits include PTO (including sick leave), parental leave, family care leave, bereavement, jury duty, and voting. Other benefits include short-term and long-term disability, company discounts, Military Leave Pay, adoption and surrogacy expense reimbursement, and more. You will also receive PTO and/or PPTO that can be used for vacation, sick leave, holidays, or other purposes. The amount you receive depends on your job classification and length of employment. It will meet or exceed the requirements of paid sick leave laws, where applicable. For information about PTO, see https://one.walmart.com/notices . Live Better U is a Walmart-paid education benefit program for full-time and part-time associates in Walmart and Sam's Club facilities. Programs range from high school completion to bachelor's degrees, including English Language Learning and short-form certificates. Tuition, books, and fees are completely paid for by Walmart. Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to a specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart at https://bit.ly/3iOOb1J . The annual salary range for this position is $91,000.00-$156,000.00 Additional compensation includes annual or quarterly performance incentives. Additional compensation for certain positions may also include: - Regional Pay Zone (RPZ) (based on location) - Stock equity incentives
Models compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by incorporating these into the development and implementation of business plans; using the Open Door Policy; and demonstrating and assisting others with how to apply these in executing business processes and practices.
Live our Values - Culture Champion - Models the Walmart values to foster our culture; holds oneself accountable; and supports Walmart's commitment to communities, corporate social responsibility, and sustainability; maintains and promotes the highest standards of integrity, ethics and compliance.
Live our Values - Servant Leadership - Is consistently humble, self-aware, honest, and transparent.
Embrace Change - Curiosity & Courage - Demonstrates curiosity and a growth mindset; supports innovation and intelligent risk-taking; and exhibits resilience in the face of setbacks.
Embrace Change - Digital Transformation & Change - Implements and supports continuous improvements and willingly embraces new digital tools and ways of working.
Deliver for the Customer - Customer Focus - Delivers results while putting the customer first and applying an omni merchant mindset and the EDLP and EDLC business models to all plans.
Deliver for the Customer - Strategic Thinking - Adopts a broad perspective that considers data, analytics, customer insights, and different parts of the business when making plans.
Focus on our Associates - Diversity, Equity & Inclusion - Embraces diversity in all its forms and actively supports diversity of ideas and perspectives, as well as diversity goal programs.
Focus on our Associates - Collaboration & Influence - Builds strong and trusting relationships with team members and business partners; works collaboratively and cross-functionally to achieve objectives; and communicates with energy and positivity to motivate, influence, and inspire commitment and action.
Focus on our Associates - Talent Management - Contributes to an environment allowing everyone to bring their best selves to work, demonstrates engagement and commitment to the team, and recognizes others' contributions and accomplishments.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, computer information systems, software engineering, or related area and 2 years’ experience in software engineering or related area.Option 2: 4 years’ experience in software engineering or related area.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Customer Service Masters: Computer Science
Primary Location...805 SE MOBERLY LN, BENTONVILLE, AR 72712, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth
Frequently asked questions
On average, how long does it take to fill out an application?
Can I change my application after submitting?
How do you protect my personal information?
What are the recommended Internet Browsers for applying for open roles?
Recently viewed jobs
Something looks off?