Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart.com/Benefits.
(USA) Director, Data Science, Retail Intelligence Associate Engine
(USA) Director, Data Science, Retail Intelligence ...
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Job Function -
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition R-1484585
What you'll do...
The Director of Data Science – Associate Engine in Walmart Retail Intelligence team will lead the efforts on reframing the business problems into ML/AI solutions, AI discovery, research, algorithmic solution design, and rapid prototyping targeted to optimize Walmart workforce planning, and associate’s engagement with stores and distribution centers, and optimize the allocation of activities to associates. This role will be focused on operational and execution decision engines which help better capacity planning, task to associate recommendation, and prioritization of activities that result in elevated associate and customer experience. They will be responsible for high level ML/AI conceptualization, roadmap planning, leading the efforts of feature engineering, ML/AI model development and experimentation, and pilot testing and iterative model refinement. They will work collaboratively with Product and Tech teams to productionize and scale ML/AI solutions and establish model monitoring and management processes. This role will require partnership with other teams within the Walmart E2E Fulfillment organization (data governance, science management, retail analytics, customer engine, foundation).
The Director of Data Science will play a pivotal role in managing efforts on how we develop ML/AI algorithms, at scale, that are linked to strategic business choices, unified associate signals, efficiency of associate operations, and delivering the desired associate, customer, and/or financial impact. They own the vision on improving efficiency of data science work streams including model development cycle time, model accuracy, model reliability, model stability, coverage of use cases, decisions impact and resources cost savings.
What you'll do:
- Leadership mindset as a full stack data scientist who leads development, optimization, and scalability of ML/AI models for the production environment.
- Engage with variety of business and product stakeholders to bring vision on applying broad knowledge of ML/AI capabilities to identify growth areas, new and emerging opportunities.
- Bring synergy between ML/AI and retail by studying organization goals, strategies, practices, and user projects. Recommends strategies by evaluating organization outcomes; identifying problems; evaluating trends; anticipating requirements.
- Lead the evolvement of a team of Data Scientists focused on powering ML/AI solutions within the scope of associate work prioritization, workforce planning and retention strategies.
- Partner closely with Data Science Management, Business Leaders, and ML engineering leaders to inform, drive and accelerate innovations in discovery experiences via Insights, frameworks, causal inference solutions and machine learning prototypes.
- Execute full life cycle of projects through project planning, data collection, model prototyping and deployment, with responsibilities encompassing stakeholder management and communication to cross-functional partners.
- Provide leadership guideline for adherence to MLOps framework to create, build, and deploy data science algorithms continuously test and monitor drifts.
- Present and shares highly complex information related to areas of expertise to executive level stakeholders. Interacts with senior executives to keep abreast of objectives. Interacts with peers to interpret information and improve cross-functional processes and programs. Builds and enhances key internal and external contacts.
What you'll bring:
- 2 years+ of supervisory experience leading teams of data scientists working on Applied ML/AI and Operations Research from conceptualization to productization and measurement of practical use cases.
- 8 years+ of experience in the development of large-scale ML/AI solutions, Causal Inference and Ranking/Prioritization systems.
- 2 years+ experience working in cross-function collaboration environments influencing stakeholders from business, product, and engineering leadership to adopt AI vision in resolving complex problems in retail or other domains which engage end-user, customers, and associates to drive business.
- Skilled in Programming language (Python) and Large-scale training using data structures and algorithms.
- Experience with cloud environments including Azure, Google Cloud, etc.
- Solid MLOps practices including good design documentation, unit testing, integration testing and source code control (git).
- Experienced with agile methodologies using project planning and tracking management tools e.g., JIRA.
About Walmart Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of software engineers, data scientists, cybersecurity expert's and service professionals within the world’s leading retailer who make an epic impact and are at the forefront of the next retail disruption. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. We are people-led and tech-empowered. We train our team in the skillsets of the future and bring in experts like you to help us grow. We have roles for those chasing their first opportunity as well as those looking for the opportunity that will define their career. Here, you can kickstart a great career in tech, gain new skills and experience for virtually every industry, or leverage your expertise to innovate at scale, impact millions and reimagine the future of retail.
Flexible, hybrid work:
We use a hybrid way of working that is primarily in office coupled with virtual when not onsite. Our campuses serve as a hub to enhance collaboration, bring us together for purpose and deliver on business needs. This approach helps us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team and be more flexible in our personal lives.
Benefits: Beyond our great compensation package, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 6 years' experience in an analytics related field.
Option 2: Masters degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 4 years' experience in an analytics related field.
Option 3: 8 years' experience in an analytics or related field
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Data science, machine learning, optimization models, PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Supervisory experience, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
Primary Location...702 SW 8TH ST, BENTONVILLE, AR 72716, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.
Hello, NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work because of injury, illness, or childbirth
Frequently asked questions
On average, how long does it take to fill out an application?
Can I change my application after submitting?
How do you protect my personal information?
What are the recommended Internet Browsers for applying for open roles?
Recently viewed jobs
Something looks off?