Retail Events Supervisor
Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
The mission of Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art is to welcome all to celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the power of art with the beauty of nature. Founded by philanthropist and arts patron Alice Walton, Crystal Bridges is a public non-profit charitable organization.
Position Title: Retail Events Supervisor
Position Type: Full-Time
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Retail Operations Manager
The Retail Events Supervisor supports service, selling, and business operations to achieve an engaging and inspiring retail environment at Crystal Bridges and the Momentary. The Retail Event Supervisor will assist the Retail Operations Manager in the execution of events that require retail needs. This role will serve as an additional point of contact in the planning, set-up, and execution of retail events across the institutions, including but not limited to concerts, festivals, markets, art fairs, and book signings. This includes fostering community amongst the team through continued education on brand and store initiatives.
Additional responsibilities ensure that proper procedures are being followed to comply with security practices when opening/closing the store and cash handling.
Principal Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Team Management: act as a liaison to other departments within the institution, serve as a point of contact during events, and develop standard operating procedures for retail events. Will be responsible for training/ leading other associates and supervisors during events.
- Event Occurrence: be present at large-scale events. The supervisor will be responsible for the proper retail layout and setup. They will prepare and report the final merchandising settlement for the event.
- Communication: Attend all necessary staff meetings and communicate concerns and solutions to problems.
- Brand Ambassador: acts as a brand representative to promote a positive and inclusive environment in the store, in line with the values of Crystal Bridges and the Momentary
- Guest Experience: leads by example in upholding a service culture that demonstrates extraordinary service to cultivate an environment where all guests feel welcome, heard, and valued
- Community Engagement: supports the store leadership team and merchandisers to promote unique guest events that drive brand engagement and deep connections with guests
Leadership + Team Management
- Guest Experience Management: actively participates in leading the sales and driving engagement in each zone through elevated communication; guides the team to prioritize the guest experience and achieve store objectives.
- Hiring and Retention: participates in the recruiting, hiring, and onboarding process to ensure we retain a diverse and engaged team
- Team Development: utilizes brand resources to champion employee development and support initiatives such as the IDEALS training, help lead employee recognition, and team building activities.
Visual + Business Operations
- Daily Operations: supports daily operating processes such as opening and closing procedures, maintaining store standards, restocking products, and helping with facilities or IT issues.
- Product Flow: collaborates with key partners to effectively execute shipment and omni-fulfillment processes; supports visual standards, product stock levels, and markdowns.
- Scheduling Optimization: provides feedback about team training needs to support optimal scheduling and payroll allocation to drive sales and brand initiatives
Communication + Relationships
- Inclusion: contributes to an inclusive work environment by actively listening to others and seeking different perspectives
- Communication Loop: checks in with leadership to maintain communication and teamwork on completing store objectives
- Employee engagement: adopts a people-first philosophy, prioritizing employee engagement and actively sharing store priorities and brand messages with the team
- Insights and Feedback: provides insights related to the guest and staff experience and communicates feedback to the Director of Retail
Other duties as assigned.
Education, Training, and Traits:
- High School Diploma or GED and similar experience required; Associate’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning preferred
- Positive, motivated, high-energy, and detail-oriented team player
- Enthusiasm about being a team member at a major contemporary visual and performing arts center with a strong visitor-centered community dynamic
- Excellent attendance and punctuality. This role includes evening and weekend hours.
- Ability to be patient and flexible while also staying energized and focused on providing excellent guest service
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to be a team player
- Ability to use good judgment
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, good judgment, and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- 2 to 3 years of a retail store or events-based experience
- Experience leading a small team preferred
- Experience with POS systems
- Knowledge of cash control and security regarding sales. Store opening and closing procedures
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Physical demands: Lifting, carrying, and stocking 5’ high shelves up to 40 lbs.; pushing or pulling more than 40 lbs.; standing for 3+ hours at a time; bending, sitting, reaching, and walking; and opening multiple doors while pushing loaded carts. Ability to reach merchandise on 6’ high shelves for guests; ability to read computer screens and price tickets; and ability to package and ship bulky merchandise for guests.
- Work Environment: Work to be performed on a sales floor, back office, stockroom, and off-site for selling events in multiple environments both indoors and out, including different physical locations. Incumbent must meet a flexible work schedule including evenings, and weekends and available on-call for emergencies. The Retail Supervisor will be required to be available any time when needed for special events or in the absence of a manager. The regular schedule for the position includes days, weekends, holidays, and evenings. Required to work at least two Saturday’s and Sunday’s a month.
All offers of employment are contingent on your successful completion (where permitted by state law) of a confidentiality agreement and background check. In addition, you will need to provide proper identification verifying your eligibility to work in the United States on your first day of work.
Crystal Bridges is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.