Lead Line Cook
Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
The mission of Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art is to welcome all to celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the power of art with the beauty of nature. Founded by philanthropist and arts patron Alice Walton, Crystal Bridges is a public non-profit charitable organization.
Position Title: Lead Line Cook
Position Type: Full-Time
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Division: Operations and Administration
Department: Culinary Services
Reports to: Executive Chef/Chef de Cuisine/Sous Chef
Provide leadership in coordinating and executing daily culinary operations of Crystal Bridges/Momentary Food Service Operations to include but not limited to, preparation and production of meals, supervision of food quality and presentation, compliance with all safety and sanitation standards, and regulations, team member productivity and performance, and implementation of policies and procedures.
Position’s Principal Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the Executive Chef, Chef de Cuisine or Sous Chef:
- Assist Executive Chef/Chef de Cuisine/Sous Chef with training, evaluations, and development
- Visually inspect, select and use quality food and beverage products including, but not limited to, fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, shellfish, herbs and spices
- Analyze Event Orders to plan and coordinate the food production
- Monitor and ensure compliance with federal, state, local and company health, safety, sanitation and alcohol awareness standards
- Assign, in detail, specific duties to employees for efficient operation of kitchen
- Read and employ math skills for preparing recipes
- Prepare assigned dishes as instructed
- Provide training and supervise to kitchen staff in the proper preparation of menu items, recipes, and menu changes
- Ensure proper receiving, storage (including temperature setting) and rotation of food products so as to comply with health department regulations
- Adhere to control procedures for cost and quality
- Oversee daily operation of assigned kitchen facilities ensuring that all equipment is maintained and used within health and safety guidelines
- Completes all tasks associated with cleaning and maintaining stations in compliance with safety, and health guidelines and ensures other team members complete assigned cleaning tasks
- Plan, prepare, and serve catered meals/selections at off-site locations
- Complete assigned shopping at grocery stores, or farmers market to capitalize on locally produced products
Education, Experience, Training, and Traits:
- Culinary degree or a minimum of three (3) years professional cooking experience while being in a leadership /training position
- Well rounded culinary experience, with an emphasis on catering
- Ability to physically self-demonstrate culinary techniques, i.e., implement recipes, knowledge cutting techniques , cooking principles, plate presentation, safety and sanitation practices
- Commitment to food safety and a safe work environment at all times
- Able to perform high quality work and maintain composure in stressful, high pressure situations
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Leadership skills to motivate and develop staff and to ensure accomplishment of goals
- Ability to work effectively under time constraints and deadlines
- Understanding of the English language both written and verbal
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: In the work environment described below, position requires working in a high functioning kitchen for prolonged periods of time and good eye/hand coordination, bending and stretching for prepping, and physical stamina to transport a minimum of 25 pounds. Must be able to bend, stoop, squat, and stretch to fulfill assigned tasks. Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space and to reach other locations of the museum on a timely basis. Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 100 pounds occasionally. Visual acuity to review written materials is required for this job. Additionally, this position requires meeting the public and the organization in a professional and courteous manner. Occasionally, while performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to independently travel in the local area. Noise level is above normal and may require shouting to be heard above the ambient noise level. Reasonable accommodations will be reviewed and evaluated should exhibitions exceed noise levels.
- Work environment: Work will be performed in museum spaces, and select off-site locations. Evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays may be required regularly. Some travel may be required.
All offers of employment are contingent on your successful completion (where permitted by state law) of a confidentiality agreement and background check. Crystal Bridges requires all employees to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment, or meet Arkansas state requirements, subject to accommodations. In addition, you will need to provide proper identification verifying your eligibility to work in the United States on your first day of work.
Crystal Bridges is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status of protected veteran, among other things or status as a qualified individual with a disability.