Interpreter (Non-English) Spanish; PRN
Arkansas Children's Hospital
ARKANSAS CHILDREN'S IS A TOBACCO FREE WORKPLACE. FLU VACCINES ARE REQUIRED. ARKANSAS CHILDREN'S IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. ALL QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE CONSIDERATION FOR EMPLOYMENT WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, DISABILITY, PROTECTED VETERAN STATUS OR ANY OTHER CHARACTERISTIC PROTECTED BY FEDERAL, STATE, OR LOCAL LAWS.
Work Shift:Please see job description for details.
Time Type:Part time
Department:CC097203 Language Services
Summary:The Interpreter is responsible for providing foreign language interpretation and translation to AC patients and families. The employee must be able to demonstrate language proficiency and provide interpretation in an accurate, warm and caring manner, function independently, work under stressful situations, and work well with others.
Required Education:Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; Or four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Work Experience:Related Field - No experience required
Recommended Work Experience:Interpreter - Related_1 year in Health Care or Medical Interpreting experience
Required Certifications:Interpreter Skills Assessment - Arkansas Children's
Recommended Certifications:Certified Medical Interpreter (CMI) - CCHI - Certification Comission for Healthcare Interpreters, Certified Medical Interpreter (CMI) - NBCMI - The National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters
1. Provides timely and accurate interpretation and translation to AC patients and families.
2. Proficiently interprets information without adding in opinions, bias or advice.
3. Demonstrates proficiency in writing as evidenced by quality translation of patient specific materials as well as educational pamphlets and materials.
4. In the course of interpreting, educates staff regarding cultural issues that may be barriers to care.
5. Takes responsibility for confirming that the language request has been completed and the patient or staff received the assistance as requested.
6. Demonstrates working knowledge of how to access other foreign language and hearing impaired assistance. Demonstrates working knowledge of ADA rules regarding provision of hearing impaired translator services.
7. Reports any patient concerns or identified social issues discovered during interpretation and does not try to address it themselves.
8. Follows up with patient or family to see if concerns have been addressed or resolved.
9. Educates staff as to appropriate utilization of interpreters and job responsibilities.
10. Communicates with other interpreters about interpretation needs for the shift and is able to problem solve with the team through barriers in scheduling.
11. Assists with three-way interpreting needs and written translation requests.
12. Enters daily list of patients seen and services provided into the departmental activity log/database.
13. Makes rounds of foreign speaking hospitalized or clinic patients and offers assistance.
14. Perform other duties as assigned.